2023 Wheeling Preview
November 9, 2023
- The Wheeling Park District welcomes us back for another day of cyclocross racing at Heritage Park cohosted by the Sasquatch Squadron powered by Main Street Bicycles and the Northbrook Garner Bicycle Club.
- Preregistration on BikeReg closes at 11:59 pm Friday. Race day entries will be available only through BikeReg for an additional $10 upcharge. Registration closes 30 minutes before the scheduled race time.
- Preliminary Staging will be posted here on Saturday.
- All are invited to attend a free Health Fair in the Community Center from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Check out the presentations, class demos like spin, activities for kids’, screenings, and more. The Center also has public rest rooms with hot showers available. The park hosts activities throughout the year, so get on their e-mail list.
- Please park in the North Parking lot east of the course to be closest to registration and the start. Please do not park in the lot adjacent to the Community Center to keep spaces open for folks heading indoors.
- The Cart will be put before the course once again with Mario’s Cart providing midday Mexican food.
- Lots of open grass and paved pathway for warming up, but as always, be mindful of pedestrians and other patrons of the park. Please refrain from riding on the playground surface and don’t set up tents in the pavilion grass due to underground electrical. No drones are allowed to take flight within the park due to the proximity of the Chicago Executive Airport. PWK for those of you booking last minute arrivals.
- Weather looks great, but its cold out there. Please plan and dress accordingly.
- Staging is in the northeast corner nearest the North Parking lot access road. The finish line and registration are to the south of staging. The two-way pit is just east of the aquatic center.
- Bring your hops at “high” noon. Our local event is a bunny hopping contest. Sign up for free in BikeReg. The course runs anti-gravity. Go higher than everyone else and receive some high-calorie fare to make future hop contests fairer.
- The course runs clockwise. Flat at the start and finish, but in between you’ll ride the camber along the pool embankment until you hit the course elevation; enjoy the views of the lake and surrounding area from the top before heading back. The finish will be extra CX. Remember to look through the corners.